October 1st, 2013
Changes have been made to the ECOO By-Laws with the following goals:
- to ensure that the ECOO By-Laws are aligned with the regulations of the Not-For-Profit Corporations Act of Ontario;
- to facilitate succession planning in the ECOO Board of Directors;
- to allow for flexibility in annual ECOO Board initiatives and priorities;
- to encourage transparency in the operations of the Board of Directors.
The major change that has been made is in the structure of the Board of Directors.
- The executive function of the Board has been reinstated as mandated by the Corporations Act. Executive Committee members serve as the officers of the Board, allowing ECOO to enter into legal contracts, and are comprised of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Past-President.
- The size of the Board of Directors has been increased from 6 to 10, creating a larger Board to take on tasks that relate to ECOO priorities: Professional Learning, Strategic Communications, and Managing Growth.
- New positions on the Board for 4 Directors-at-Large with two year terms will allow for a Board that brings in skills and talent to support Board initiatives. These added positions will also help provide continuity and director development that may lead to movement towards the executive positions.
Two other changes include:
- moving the end-of-fiscal year to March 31;
- an increase in the number of members required to reach quorum at a General Meeting.
|Notice of Motion|
|to be presented at the Annual General Meeting of the Educational Computing Organization of Ontario on Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 4:00pm in the Peller Estates Ballroom B of the Scotiabank Convention Centre, Niagara Falls:|
|Moved: that the ECOO members present at the Annual General Meeting approve the new ECOO Bylaw 11.|
|Moved by Andrew Forgrave
Seconded by Brenda Sherry
Members may read the details of the changes. The document provides the previous articles (Bylaw 10) and the new articles (Bylaw 11) formatted for easy comparison, with all changes highlighted in blue.